Samaritans vision is that fewer people die by suicide. We work to achieve this vision by making it our mission to alleviate emotional distress and reduce the incidence of suicidal feelings and behaviours.
We do this by:
- Being Available - 24 hours a day to provide emotional support for people who are struggling to cope, including those who have had thoughts of suicide.
- Reaching Out - to high risk groups and communities to reduce the risk of suicide.
- Working in Partnership - with other organisations, agencies and experts.
- Influencing Public Policy - and raising awareness of the challenges of reducing suicide.
We are committed to the following values:
- Listening - because exploring feelings alleviates emotional distress and helps people to reach a better understanding of their situation and the options open to them.
- Confidentiality - because if people feel safe, they are more likely to be open about their feelings.
- People making their own decisions - wherever possible, because we believe that people have the right to find their own solution and telling people what to do takes responsibility away from them.
- Being non-judgemental - because we want people to be able to talk to us without fear of prejudice or rejection.
- Human contact - because giving people time, undivided attention and empathy meets a fundamental emotional need and reduces distress and despair.
Our current opportunities include Samaritans Listening Volunteer.
115 King Street
Telford TF1 1NU
Deputy Director Recruitment