The Wakes Volunteer Steward
Suitable for -
Join the volunteer cinema team at The Wakes Community Cinema.
Volunteers are at the heart of community cinema providing great customer service to our community visitors. Joining The Wakes community team means you’ll become part of a small, friendly and welcoming team. You’ll have the chance to see some great shows and be at the heart of community cinema.
We are looking for individuals:
• With a passion for their local community
• Who are reliable, friendly and approachable
• Confident dealing with customers face to face
• Want to learn new skills
What we offer:
• Full training and experience of a great community environment
• A welcoming and friendly environment to work in
• The opportunity to see the latest film releases
• Free snacks and refreshments
• Free DBS checks (as required)
• Individual eLearning plan on a variety of subjects
• Development of transferable employment skills
• Contribution towards travel expenses (within reason)
• One to one feedback and development sessions
Ushers are responsible for assisting our customers into the films, being present through the film to assist when necessary. This is an ideal role for those interested in film and good with people.
Children’s Cinema Steward
We hold school holiday events for children, and you would assist the Event Officer with the practicalities of these events. There is a rewarding role that requires someone with a great deal of enthusiasm and patience.
Volunteer Steward Role Description
Role: The Wakes Volunteer Steward
Responsible to:The Town Clerk
Duties & Responsibilities:
The role of the Volunteer Steward is to provide a high quality experience to community members attending cinema showings at The Wakes.
Responsibilities will vary for each performance and support and supervision will be given for the Duty Manager.
• To provide particular assistance, if required to customers with specific access requirements
• Checking tickets and assisting customers to their seats
• Selling confectionary and merchandise when necessary
• Assisting the Events Co Ordinator to lay out the function room for performances
• Dealing effectively with latecomers and other audience related enquiries
• To stand/sit inside/outside the function room door during the performance as required
• Ensure the cleanliness and hygiene of the function room and toilets, prior to, during and after performances is of a high standard
• To be vigilant at all times, with regard to the safety and security of community members and colleagues and to alert the Events Co Ordinator of any problems quickly and clearly
• Assisting with the safe evacuation of our customers in an emergency situation
An average shift is about 3 hours long but can be agreed flexibly. With afternoon events/cinema shifts commencing around 1pm and evening shifts at 7pm. Full details on the cinema listings are made available to all stewards via the rotas. Stewards can choose which performances they sign up for.
Children’s cinema stewards applicants will require an enhanced check through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Previous experience as a steward isn’t essential, as full training will be given, however some experience of working with the public and children (for the Childrens Cinema Steward) would be beneficial
Qualities we are looking for include:
• A passion for film and the assisting the local community
• Reliable, punctual and diligent
• Well presented, friendly and polite
• A team player
• Flexible approach to working
• Confident in working in a customer facing environment
• Experience of handling money and merchandise
• Willing to take responsibility during an emergency evacuation and keep calm